Griff’s Top Ten of 2012
10. Safety Not Guaranteed – An impressive little independent film that satisfies with a quirky, refreshingly original story line and some great performances by the leads.
9. End of Watch – One of the best gritty cop dramas I have seen since Training Day.
8. Headhunters – I know you don’t want to read subtitles but trust me when I tell you to suck it up and give this one a try. You will not regret it.
7. The Raid: Redemption – Plain and simple The Raid kicked ass.
6. The Avengers – This movie is what summer blockbusters are all about. One of the best times I had in the theater this year.
5. Skyfall – I know I will catch heat for this one but Craig may be the best Bond ever.
4. Silver Linings Playbook – This one had some great performances including some of the best work I have seen from De Niro in a long time. Couple that with a perfect blend of drama and laughs and you end up with the best romantic drama/comedy of the year.
3. Argo – Affleck is really coming into his own as a Director and this is his best most competent work to date. I can’t wait to see what he does next.
2. Django Unchained – Yet another classic from Tarantino. Lots of action and great story make this one a must see.
1. Moonrise Kingdom – I don’t know if I enjoyed any other movie this year as much as Moonrise. It was a joy to watch from start to finish and Anderson’s best film since The Life Aquatic.
To be fair, I missed a few movies that may have been able to make the list. I still haven’t seen:
Zero Dark Thirty
Beast of the Southern Wild
Some honorable mentions from me as well:
The Hobbit – It was tough for me to exclude this one but I couldn’t bump anyone else from the list. It would be #11 for me for sure.
Chronicle – I know Adam didn’t like this one but I thought it was well done. Could have done without the shaky cam though.
The Dark Knight Rises – Cliche plot lines and some unexplainable holes left this one off the list for me.
The Hunger Games – A decent movie by all accounts with a strong performance by Lawrence but her work in Silver Linings Playbook blew this one out of the water.
Looper – A nice entry into the Sci-Fi/Action genre but I had to knock it down a bit for all the plot holes.
Five that failed - My biggest disappoints: Here are a few of the movies that I was looking forward too and was let down…
Prometheus – Fuck You Lindelof.
Dark Shadows – Just a mess of a movie.
Total Recall – Should never have been recalled
Savages - I was really pumped up for this one and it really let me down. The double ending sucked real bad.
This is 40 - I was looking forward to this one as well since I just hit the magic age this year myself. It had just the right balance of too much drama and not enough comedy to make it suck.